Thinking and talking about the reality of death is daunting and scary, but this series of 21 essays from 9 disciplines of hospice care will demonstrate that the end of life can be filled with profound comfort and hope.
From the experiences of those who work in hospice—including physicians, nurses, social workers, chaplains, music therapists, volunteers, and more—you will be given an inside look into what hospice truly is and the many ways in which the hospice team cares for those who are approaching the end of life. The hospice team reflects an interdisciplinary team approach to caring, as well as the cultural, racial, and gender diversity of hospice personnel. These deeply personal, compelling, and honest accounts express a unifying theme of working as a team to lessen pain and suffering—physical, spiritual, emotional, familial—at a very vulnerable time for those in hospice and for their families and loved ones. The essays also dispel common misconceptions about hospice, including euthanasia, mercy killing, and deliberate overdose of morphine to hasten death.
Who We Are
The hospice team members who present these 21 moving and helpful essays are made up of:
- Certified Nurse Assistants
- Social Workers
- Music Therapists
- Bereavement Counselors
- Integrative Therapists/Volunteer Coordinators
How We Care
These compelling stories:
- Demonstrate the love and dedication of the hospice team, their inspiration for choosing hospice care as their career, and why they never want to leave the profession
- Describe the role of the hospice team in explaining conditions to family members and being there to walk them through the end of life process
- Share the unforgettable relationships the hospice team makes with patients and families
- Touches on the faith of many team members, and how they honor the individual spirituality of those they care for
If you or someone close to you is currently in hospice or soon will be, this book is a cathartic and comforting read. This groundbreaking book also serves a tool for those who are interested in learning about hospice care or looking to work in an area that inspires a sense of purpose. All readers will find this an insightful and inspiring read that sheds a light of comfort and hope on the dark feelings of fear, helplessness, and sadness that are so much a part of dying and death.