Read the Los Mejores Amigos en el Cuidado de Alzheimer Press Release (Comunicado de prensa) in English or Spanish.
Now available in Spanish, The Best Friends Approach to Alzheimer’s Care is your guide to the groundbreaking and uplifting method for the care of people with Alzheimer’s disease. Discover the power of the essential elements of friendship: respect, empathy, support, trust, humor. These are the building blocks of a care model that’s both effective and flexible enough to adapt to each person’s remaining strengths and abilities. It’s easy. It’s natural. It works.
Learn how to ensure the highest quality of life for people with Alzheimer’s disease, not just by preventing catastrophic episodes but by making every day consistently reassuring, enjoyable, and secure.
This resource includes an introduction by Lilia Mendoza, founder of the Mexican Alzheimer’s Society.
Section I: About Alzheimer’s Disease
- The Experience of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Alzheimer’s Disease Basics
- Assessing Remaining Strengths and Abilities
Section II: The Best Friends Model of Care
- An Alzheimer’s Disease Bill of Rights
- The Art of Friendship
- The Life Story
- The “Knack” of Alzheimer’s Care
Section III: The Best Friends Model in Action
- The Best Friends Approach to Communication
- The Best Friends Approach to Activities
- The Best Friends Approach at Home
- The Best Friends Approach in Adult Day Services
- The Best Friends Approach in Long-Term Care Facilities
Section IV: The Best Friends Model: A New Day
- Being One’s Own Best Friend
- Light Out of the Darkness