View a complete crosswalk of changes from the sixth and seventh editions! (Includes text, tables, and figures.)
Managing Health Services Organizations and Systems has served the educational and professional needs of the healthcare field over four decades. The seventh edition furthers that legacy in a completely revised and reorganized text that presents a comprehensive range of the knowledge and skills needed to effectively lead and manage health services delivery.
The first of three parts describes the environment in which health services are delivered. The second details tools and skills needed to manage and lead health services. The final part links the preceding chapters to Fayol’s five management functions—planning, organizing, staffing, directing, and controlling—as they apply in health services.
In this edition, the authors return to basics in a concise yet substantive presentation within a context of quality and performance improvement. New to this edition are chapters on healthcare economics, financial management, planning, organizing, staffing, and directing. A new section on compliance is key to meeting regulatory demands. The sections on patient and staff safety, emergency preparedness, and project management are updated and revised. Additional highlights include
- Revised and supplemented end-of-chapter discussion questions
- 52 thought-provoking case studies, 28 new to this edition
- Extensive source citations, many with URLs leading to additional sources for reading and research
- List of acronyms
- Detailed index
- Supporting instructor materials, including 58 additional case studies
Managing Health Services Organizations and Systems is a vital resource for developing health services leaders and managers. It is
- A textbook for graduate and undergraduate courses in health services management
- A resource for nonformal education such as seminars, webinars, and self-instruction
- An enduring professional reference with encyclopedic information. Busy practitioners will value the readily available acronym list, detailed index, and regulatory and statutory references.
Faculty adopting this text will find exceptional support in the accompanying instructor materials. These include learning objectives, supplemental case studies, discussion questions and answers, PowerPoint presentations, and test banks for each chapter. Also available are PDF files of figures and tables.