Boxed set contains
• ECAT Manual
• ECAT Cue Card Pack
• ECAT Assessment Forms
• CD-ROM (of reproducible forms and cards)
• light and sound meter
As communication skills decline in people with dementia, a supportive environment becomes crucial to a resident’s ability to express needs and desires. But how do you recognize what physical and social changes will help improve functioning, communication, and quality of life? The Environment & Communication Assessment Toolkit (ECAT) for Dementia Care is your answer!
This evidence-based toolkit includes the tools you need to assess, intervene, and modify on an individualized basis to ensure the quality of life for people with dementia. Use the validated Assessment Forms, and in three easy-to-follow steps you will:
- Assess activity performance with quick yes/no questions
- Evaluate the environment to identify barriers and problems
- Pinpoint individualized recommendations for intervention
And it’s not only person-centered but real-world! ECAT’s developers are researchers and experienced clinicians who have made sure that ECAT:
- Integrates effortlessly into evaluation and treatment sessions
- Helps keep up case load demands with creative solutions
- Satisfies regulatory requirements
- Leads to straightforward functional therapeutic interventions
- Identifies low-cost, person-centered environmental modifications
In field-tests, 97% of professionals using ECAT reported it gave them new treatment options to use with clients with dementia. Discover for yourself the surprisingly simple environmental changes that can improve functional independence and resident well-being—changes such as supporting bathroom independence by increasing the size of sign lettering to identify spaces and using colored tape around a door handle, or encouraging social interaction by rearranging seating areas.
ECAT for Dementia Care has more than 300 specific recommendations for interventions and modifications that will reduce typical problems encountered during routine activities of daily living for people with dementia. With the ECAT’s functionally based assessment and intervention system, you’re equipped with solutions!
Introduction: What Is the ECAT and Who Should Use It?
Section 1: Resource Guide
- What Is Communication?
- Impact of Communication Disorders
- Impact of Environment on Communication
- Environment, Ability and Performance
- International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF)
B. From Body Structure to Environmental Interventions
- Body Structure and Function
- Normal Aging
- Changes in Cognition, Memory, and Language
- Changes in Cognition and Memory
- Changes in Expressive and Receptive Language
- Design Strategies
- Optimize Cognitive Aspects
- Maximize Cues
- Personalize Spaces and Materials
- Optimize Visual Aspects
- Enhance Lighting
- Enhance Visual Organization
- Maximize Sightlines
- Maximize Contrast
- Minimize Glare
- Optimize Auditory Aspects
- Minimize Background Noise
- Minimize Reverberation
- Environmental Interventions
- Toileting, Bathing, and Grooming
- Orienting to Time / Location
- Controlling Ambient Conditions
- Engaging in Leisure and Social Activities
- Navigating Throughout the Care Community
C. Environmental Interventions as Part of Treatment Planning Process
- Implementing Modifications in the Care Community
- Examples of Significant Environmental Modifications
Section 2: Assessment Tools
- Assessment Forms
- Gray Scale to Assess Contrast
- Reading Test to Determine Readable Font Size
- Sound Level Meter to Assess Sound Intensity
- Light Meter to Assess Light Intensity
Section 3: Intervention Resources
Interventions Based on Environmental Assessment Results
Developing Visual Cues and Reading Material
Section 4: Resources
Where to Purchase Supplies for Environmental Modifications
Useful Sequencing Cues
(Please read this important information about light and sound meters)
What’s in the Kit:
The ECAT Toolkit consists of the ECAT Manual, the ECAT Assessment Forms, sound and light meters, ECAT Sequencing Cue Cards, and the ECAT CD-ROM of reproducible forms and cards.
Your starting point is the ECAT Manual—a user’s guide, technical manual, and educational resource all in one easy-to-use book!
The Manual details how limitations associated with dementia can impact communication, describes step-by-step how to complete the assessments, and includes appropriate interventions and modifications in handy tables cross-referenced to the assessments.
These interventions and modifications offer specific strategies for implementing environmental changes that tackle the communication difficulties the Toolkit allows you to pinpoint.
The Manual has other bonuses, too—such as the final section with everything you need to know about lighting (methods, types, fixtures, bulbs, suppliers, and more).
ECAT Assessment Forms (Evaluation of Personal Spaces, Evaluation of Public Spaces)
The ECAT Assessment Forms quickly identify environmental barriers that are preventing your residents from participating in activities of daily living, leisure activities, or social communication in both public spaces and their own personal space.
With simple yes/no answers, these clinician-loved forms let you organize, analyze, and translate assessment results into appropriate recommendations for intervention. Each form has three sections: Activity Performance, Environmental Measures, and Recommendations for Intervention.
Your ECAT toolkit contains a convenient booklet of both Assessment Forms. Additional booklets may be purchased in packages of 15, or Assessment Forms may be printed from the CD-ROM in your kit.
Sound and Light Meters
Critical to the ECAT evaluation is understanding the role of light and sound within the environment. High-quality meters, selected for their accuracy and reliability in measuring these important variables, are packaged in the ECAT Toolkit. The meter readings are a critical part of completing the Assessment Forms.
ECAT Light Meter specs:
- Accurately displays light level in terms of Lux over wide range
- Features an over-range indication, long-life silicon diode, and 3.5 digit LCD display with LUX and LOBAT indication
- Measures from 0 to 50,000 Lux in four ranges with 0.1 Lux resolution
- Lightweight, pocket-size unit makes it convenient and easy-to-use
ECAT Sound Meter specs:
- Sound Level Pen
- Perfect for testing OSHA requirements
- Meets ANSI S1.4 Type 2 and IEC61672-1 Class
- Measurement range simulates the human ear response
- Features built-in calibration adjustment, fast response time, and Max Hold
- Compact size
- Includes windscreen, calibration tool, and two 1.5v batteries
ECAT Cue Card Pack
This handy pack of sturdy 8.5 x 11 cards contains 24 Sequencing Cue cards (each full-color) and 1 card featuring the Gray Scale Contrast Tool on one side and the Type Size Reading Test on the other (black-and-white).
- The ECAT Sequencing Cues and Personal Space Signs – In addition to the assessment tools, ECAT also provides tools for facilitating change. The ECAT Sequencing Cues are color illustrations of common sequences of activities of daily living, including getting dressed, taking a shower, using the toilet, and washing one’s face. The Sequencing Cues are supplied as durable, re-usable cards in the ECAT Cue Card Pack, or you can print additional copies yourself from the ECAT CD-ROM. The ECAT Personal Space Signs are full-page, black-and-white drawings of Toilet, Bathroom, and Closet. Copy the set included in the ECAT Cue Card Pack or print them from your ECAT CD-ROM.
- Gray Scale Contrast Tool – You’ll use this handy card again and again to determine whether signage in a person’s environment has adequate contrast. Instructions for using this tool are in the ECAT Manual.
- Type Size Reading Test – Printed on the reverse of the Gray Scale Contrast Tool, this one-page test is a handy and reliable way to be sure that signage is the right size for each person’s needs. Instructions for use are in the ECAT Manual.
This cost-saving component of the toolkit provides PDFs you can access whenever you want to print additional copies of the Assessment Forms, Sequencing Cues, Gray Scale Contrast Tool, and Type Size Reading Test.
This CD-ROM also contains Personal Space Signs—full-page, black-and-white drawings of Toilet, Bathroom, and Closet.