The newly revised edition of this popular resource provides professional and home-based caregivers with easy-to-understand and powerfully effective ways to prevent, reduce, or eliminate the challenging behaviors of care recipients. Nearly 80% of long-term care residents exhibit some level of difficult behaviors stemming from a wide range of factors including depression, personal distress, declining physical function, or dementia. These behaviors occur as well in other settings, including assisted living as well as part of professionally provided home-based care programs. Caregivers will learn how to use this book’s proven intervention tools and strategies to identify and satisfy the basic human needs that underlie challenging behaviors, as well as to encourage and reinforce positive behaviors.
With detailed vignettes illustrating the successful implementation of each recommended technique for addressing common challenging resident behaviors, this book also focuses on empowering caregivers to cope with the stress of their roles. Presented in a user-friendly style for anyone working in long-term care settings, Caring for People with Challenging Behaviors serves as both a self-study tool and a resource for in-service training.
- downloadable handouts that summarize core content as well as strategies and models for intervention
- exercises that help caregivers put concepts into practice
- intervention and behavior tracking forms
- stress-management techniques that help caregivers with their own reactions to challenging resident behavior
- a five-step treatment plan using a preventative approach
Whether used as part of in-service training of long-term care staff, as a curriculum for students, in workshops for family caregivers, or as a reference for mental health professionals, Caring for People with Challenging Behaviors, Second Edition is an essential read. The simple and practical techniques presented will raise the quality of life for care recipients and can transform the overall culture of care.
NEW to the second edition!
- New chapter on the benefits of advance directives over behavior contracts
- More intervention strategies and stress-management techniques
- Downloadable exercises, forms, posters, and 40+ handouts, in PDF format!
- Additional case studies and instructional displays