Awarded third place in the
2013 American Journal of Nursing (AJN) Book of the Year Awards
in the Palliative Care and Hospice Category
Presenting the first program created specifically to serve the unique needs of a very special population, The End-of-Life Namaste Care Program for People with Dementia offers simple and practical ways for direct care staff to provide holistic end-of-life care for people with advanced dementia. With compassion, sensitivity, and creativity, the Namaste Care™ program affirms the individuality and enduring spirit of each person through comforting and meaningful sensory-based experiences.
Evocative scents, soothing music, and gentle massage are just part of this innovative program, which can be implemented with minimal resources and training and meets regulatory guidelines for person-centered activity programming. Step-by-step advice for staffing, budgeting, operating, and marketing the program is included along with detailed information for creating a Namaste Care room, wing, or alternative setting.
Skilled nursing facilities, assisted living memory care communities, and hospice organizations see many positive outcomes from implementing Namaste Care, including improved resident quality of life, increased family involvement, and strengthened staff morale.
New to this second edition:
- greatly expanded coverage of programming and adaptations for assisted living and hospice care
- more stories and vignettes to illustrate creative uses of Namaste Care and improvements in quality of life
- introduction of the No One Dies Alone program into Namaste Care
- revised and expanded discussion of dying and death to encourage greater sensitivity and understanding of this important passage for residents, their families, and staff
- international examples of Namaste Care programs and perspectives from Australia, the United Kingdom, and Europe