A diverse menu of teaching methods will be used in this seminar including brief lecture, video, small and large discussion groups, activities and an opportunity to develop a product (a sexuality policy) that can be taken to the long-term care workplace.
Topics addressed include:
- Fundamental understanding of the sexual and intimacy needs of older adults
- Staff and family attitudes about sexuality and how they can harm resident autonomy and dignity
- The effects of dementia on resident sexuality
- How to manage inappropriate sexual behaviors
- Special needs for LGBT populations
- How to develop a sexuality policy
This seminar may be customized for “train-the-trainer” or other select groups, including family members, for instance, focusing on the effects of dementia and intimate relationships.