The narrow standpoint of disease, and creates a deficit-based care approach that fosters disempowerment, isolation and overmedication. Using a similar paradigm shift to that of the major culture change movements, a new “experiential” model is presented that fosters meaningful engagement and well-being, by understanding the individual’s experience and cultivating personal strengths to create better lives for all.
Topics addressed include:
- Problems associated with psychotropic medication use in dementia
- Paradigm-shifting exercises and Introduction of an “experiential” model for viewing dementia
- Personal, operational and physical aspects of the transformation of care
- Tips for communication and decoding distress
- Applications of the model to specific challenges encountered by participants