Unbeknownst to many, bullying is not an experience limited to childhood, but is an epidemic occurring far too often among older adults as well. Studies have revealed the alarmingly high rate at which older adults in senior programs and care settings are bullied by their peers, resulting in profoundly negative effects on the elders, the staff, and the community in which it is occurring. Bullying Among Older Adults is the first resource to address this critical issue, providing the knowledge and tools to recognize bullying and develop constructive ways to intervene and prevent it.
As an expert on peer bullying among older adults, author Robin Bonifas draws upon a growing body of research as well as the voices and actual experiences of the targets and perpetrators of bullying. She exposes the nature of this phenomenon and then presents positive, proactive ways for community-based or long-term care staff to minimize and prevent it from happening. Filled with practical resources and examples, this book offers effective interventions, including empathy and civility training, empowerment strategies, bystander interventions, and more.
Increase staff awareness and improve day-to-day interactions with:
- detailed, step-by-step assessment strategies and anti-bullying interventions
- effective coping strategies to minimize negative consequences for those bullied
- pro-social activities to promote empathy and civility
- specialized approaches for residents with dementia or mental illness
Bullying Among Older Adults is an invaluable resource in creating an atmosphere of caring and respect among both residents and staff.
- Learning activities
- Case studies
- Model intervention programs
- Sample forms and policy guidelines (also downloadable!)
- Social Interaction Survey (also downloadable!)
- Bullying assessment form (also downloadable!)
Long-term care providers (administrators and department managers); Directors of Nursing; social workers and case/care managers; ombudsman; psychologists and psychiatrists; lawyers; older adults and family members